OpenID violates Semantic Web (according to them)

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hueniverse.com
Fri Jan 30 06:13:31 UTC 2009

This does not imply anything with regard to my own position on this matter but I figured people on this list might find the latest debate [1] over the W3C TAG httpRange-14 issue interesting.

Basically according to the httpRange-14 decision, a URI cannot represent both a 'person' and an 'information resource' (i.e. a blog). A blog must return HTTP 200 while a URI for a person should not, but return a 303 instead. This is a very important architectural principal of the semantic web according to the W3C TAG.

The recent debate is about URIs for relationships (as in the value of a rel attribute in a Link header or element). The W3C TAG want the IANA not to serve 200 responses for relationship URIs, but 303s. It is a fascinating discussion, even if you think it is closer to an episode of Melrose Place than a technical accomplishment...

EHL

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Jan/0114.html