AX 2.0 Data model

Joseph Anthony Pasquale Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Thu Dec 17 03:10:00 UTC 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Dick Hardt wrote:
> On 2009-12-15, at 7:08 AM, Chris Obdam wrote:
>
>> Do we already have an inventorisation of what attributes and object
>> should be included into the model? There have been many
>> discussions, but I am losing grip. Maybe a Wiki? Where people can
>> suggest needed attr next to what already is available on axschema.org
>>
>> And what do we do wit axschema? There is the schema (formal) and
>> the implementation (JSON, something else). Shouldn't we split these
>> discussions?
>
> Yes they are two different discussions. There is the message schema
> and the attributes that are being moved around.
+1

> At IWW there was a discussion about what AX could look like. The
> queries and responses need more syntax then is provided by simple
> name/value pairs. It is a little embarrassing looking at AX 1.0 now
> with the overloaded lvalue. XML and JSON are well understood
> syntaxes for rich objects. XML looks to have more power/complexity
> then needed, JSON looks just right.

I wish I could agree, but the current draft charter[1] mentions "Each
attribute property schema is bound to a unique attribute-type
namespace, can be described by a standard key string (does not need to
be defined through a URL value)." JSON doesn't have a formal or de
facto way to do that.

Am I just trolling on this issue? Has someone proposed a way to do
this namespacing in JSON? Dropped the requirement?

In the spirit of constructive criticism, here's a proposal: the top
level keys of the JSON object must be AXSchema attribute names. This
allows the existing attribute types to be used beside new structured
types. You request things by top level attribute name. That's a
tradeoff in granularity and means you either request the entire PoCo
record, or none of it.

1: http://wiki.openid.net/OpenID_Attribute_Exchange_Extension_2_0

--
Joseph Holsten