[OpenID] Using Account Creation Date to preempt recycleable OpenID's in v.next

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Thu Dec 3 12:50:25 UTC 2009

Most URI schemes support fragments.    I am guessing that acct: could support fragments.

Are you planning on registering the scheme?

Are you thinking that Acct: will be used only for meta-data lookup, or for the claimed_id as well.

By changing account recycling detection to be a separate parameter we are creating a significant breaking change that effects applications account logic as well as the openID library.

I think openID's use of fragment is compatible with semantic web's use.
Though that is more coincidence than design.

https://ve7jtb.startssl.com/#123  becomes a identifier for me rather than the profile page.

We need to carefully consider things that may be breaking changes.

Another issue we need to address is migrating people from http: identifiers at RP.

With RP's normalizing to http: and OP's not redirecting to the https version we are providing much lower security to people than we could be.

Perhaps moving people to Acct: type identifiers where discovery is more secure, is part of the solution.

However we do have a real problem with the installed base.

John B.