[OpenID] OpenID Extension to handle Emails Addresses?

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 16:20:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk>wrote:

> David Fuelling wrote:
>

>> I would even entertain the notion of the OpenID extension doing DNS lookup
>> first, then EAUT, though I need to think more on the topic.  Alternatively,
>> maybe we make DNS optional.
>>

> At this point I'll throw in my more recent post about why DNS must be
> supported and must be the primary mode, with others as fallback:
>
> http://www.apparently.me.uk/18285.html

Very interesting points in your blog post!!  It has me wondering the
following questions:

   1. The arguments about using DNS could apply to OpenID in general.
   However, OpenID doesn't do anything with DNS.  Why is this?  What were the
   compelling reasons to not use DNS with OpenID?  Is there an FAQ page
   somewhere about that?  I have only vague recollections on the topic.
   2. Do some of the larger email providers have an opinion on the mechanism
   used for "Discovery" in the email case?  For instance, would
   Google/Yahoo/etc prefer that DNS be consulted first, or that some HTTP-based
   discovery be consulted first?  Do they even care?

> However, I wouldn't necessarily object to putting the *EAUT* information
>  in the DNS rather than the OpenID information directly. The two things I
> care most about at this point are:
>
>  * DNS must be consulted first, for the reasons I go into in that post.
>  * In the case where an email address is the claimed_identifier, the OpenID
> request must have openid.identity set to mailto:theemailaddress, not the
> mapped HTTP identifer. (In other words, this is an extension to OpenID
> *Discovery*; the rest of the protocol is unchanged.)

What if the user actually wants their URL to be the claimed identifier?
Would you be open to that?