OpenID/OAuth hybrid - without app pre-registration

Manger, James H James.H.Manger at team.telstra.com
Sun Nov 30 23:07:37 UTC 2008

> here is a non-security reason [for openid.oauth.consumer in the response]:
> Imagine the Consumer controlling more than
> one consumer key, and also imagine that the consumer is implemented as a
> server farms of thousands of machines. The machine receiving the response
> is not necessarily the same machine as the machine that made the request,
> and it response-receiver needs to know the context of the request.

The openid.return_to parameter is already available to relay RP context from a request to a response. Adding second way to do the same thing does not help. An app can, for instance, use
  openid.return_to=https://example.com/rp?contex=26532

Returning openid.oauth.consumer and openid.oauth.scope cannot help if
apps are not doing anything with them (and the draft spec doesn't suggest
doing anything). If a paranoid crypto geek in future finds a reason to
return the parameters the apps built before that point will still be broken.

>> Is the app supposed to check that the value in the response matches the
>> value in the request?
>> Are there security implications of not doing the check?
>> I suspect it can be omitted (openid.return_to is still present and signed
>> if the app want to confirm the response is meant for itself).

James Manger