OpenID/Oauth hybrid [was Re: specs Digest, Vol 27, Issue 3]

Breno de Medeiros breno at google.com
Tue Nov 18 04:00:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Manger, James H
<James.H.Manger at team.telstra.com> wrote:
> Dirk, Allen, Brian, etc
>
> How about sending an 'unauthorized request token' with the OpenID authentication request, instead of a scope or a consumer key?
>
> A Service Provider can choose to encode the consumer key or scope into the request token when issuing it if they need those details when interacting with the user.

That is how we started, but it adds a (probably unacceptable)
redundant server-to-server call for *every* authentication request. We
have decided to abandon this option after much debate. The request
token request is not needed for security reasons because (1) the
return_to URL is mandatory (hybrid only makes sense for web apps) and
(2) The OP/SP signs the response (unlike plain OAuth).