Proposing an OpenID Authentication 2.1 Working Group

Jorgen Thelin jthelin at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 10 04:59:46 UTC 2008

I completely agree with Martin's instincts here.

There appear to be two completely orthogonal groups of work items in David's proposal that are in different equivalence classes in terms of maturity, path to completion and current level of agreement.

I see great benefit for the OpenID community in getting the "errata" part out _very quickly_ in order to provide a stabilized base version for implementers, while the "experimental" parts will naturally take longer to work through.

Personally I am indifferent about naming or whether this proposal is refactored into two workgroups, or just one that calls out two separate deliverables on different timescales.
However, I do feel strongly that the "errata" updates need to be expedited in order to try to minimize potential interop issues due to spec interpretation problems going forward, while the "experimental" work can start/proceed in parallel.

- Jorgen