Proposal to create the TX working group

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 02:19:13 PDT 2008

Hi David,
Thanks for your comments. My reply inline below:

2008/11/1 David Recordon <drecordon at sixapart.com>

> Hey Nat,Do you see this as being built atop Attribute Exchange for
> transport or as something new that TX defines?  I know Sxip had done work
> with AX to enable passing signed and encrypted attributes using SAML
> assertions.

I have thought of using AX as transport once, then gave up on it when I was
thinking of a mobile use case where the amount of payload that could be
carried with was very limited (URL length in GET is limited to one of
128bytes, 256bytes or 512bytes depending on the handset). So, the current
draft looks a lot like AX with bunch of hard coded attribute types in a
way.

As far as carrying SAML token etc. in AX are concerned, similar thing has
also been done by one of the proposer, Robert Ott of Clavid. Martin Paljak
of Estonia (openid.ee) has been using XAdES with AX.
These approach are valid. However, I thought the approach partly defeats the
purpose of OpenID.
If we were using SAML, then we could have used it through out.
I wanted to make it easier for the developers by sticking to the tag-value
approach.
This made us define some of the attribute types defined in SAML and XAdES to
be defined as tag-value tag.

> Is "Trust Exchange" really the best name?  Seems like "trust" is quite a
> broad concept so something more specific might be better.

Right. Naming was a bit problematic. I started using "Trust" because the
messaging model is not dis-similar to WS-Trust. Now, the "trust" defined in
WS-Trust in our context is essentially "Contract". So I thought of changing
it to "CX" or something, but then, at least in Japan, quite a few key people
were already exposed to "TX" by now and thus I kept the name "TX".

Nat Sakimura (=nat)
http://www.sakimura.org/en/