Auth 2.0 spec errata regarding delegation vs. directed identity

John Ehn john at extremeswank.com
Wed May 21 20:03:34 UTC 2008

Josh,

I'm tending to agree with Martin on this one.  I guess that statement does,
in a roundabout way, implies the Relying Party should do the following:

* Run discovery against the Claimed Identifier (or use the cached response
from a previous discovery), thereby determining the Local Identifier and
endpoint URLs
* If a Local Identifier is discovered, compare the Local Identifier with the
openid.identity value in the assertion and verify they are the same - if
they do not match, then authentication validation MUST fail
* If a Local Identifier is not discovered, compare the Claimed Identifier
with the openid.identity value in the assertion and verify they are the same
- if they do not match, the Claimed Identifier MUST be ignored, and the
value of "openid.identity" MUST be used instead

I does not state this, though.  It is very much open to interpretation.

Normative text needs to be very specific.  If you make a vague statement
like "you MUST verify what was received against what you already know", it
can be interpreted very differently depending upon who is reading it.

Honestly, my client implementation did not perform this check until Josh
made mention of it on this list.  From what Josh states, it
appears there several implementations are affected by this issue, which
follows that the specification does not read as clearly as it should.

Therefore, I suggest taking some action to correct the problem.  Sweeping
this under the carpet will cause more harm than good.

Thank you,

John Ehn
extremeswank.com