XRDS-Simple 1.0 Draft 1 Released

David Recordon drecordon at sixapart.com
Sat Mar 29 07:23:26 UTC 2008

If you haven't taken a look about XRDS-Simple -- and care about Yadis
or XRDS Based Discovery -- then you should!

The blow by blow history is:
1) Brad Fitzpatrick, Johannes Ernst, and I were looking at merging
OpenID and LID in 2005 and needed a discovery protocol.  Made a text
based one but knew XML would be useful.
2) At the first IIW in Oct. 2005 we learned about XRDS and thought it
would be useful.
3) A group of 20ish people created Yadis 1.0 in Jan. 2006 which
extracted XRDS from XRI Resolution and described how to discover an
XRDS document via HTTP.
4) Yadis 1.0 was published and it started to be used with OpenID 1.1.
5) The OASIS XRI TC incorporated the HTTP based discovery of a XRDS
document as Chapter 6 of the XRI Resolution spec.
6) OpenID 2.0 has XRDS Based Discovery, referencing Chapter 6.
7) The OAuth (http://oauth.net) community needs a discovery protocol
and looks at using Yadis.
8) Eran Hammer-Lahav realizes that Yadis isn't a fully separate
compliant "profile" of XRDS from XRI Resolution.
9) Eran works with the XRI TC and others to develop XRDS Simple.
10) Today.

Using XRDS Simple shouldn't actually change discovery in OpenID,
rather give us a shorter specification to reference when dealing with
URL identifiers and a clear subset of what needs to be supported by
XRDS Simple (Yadis) parsing libraries.

More on the "why" in Eran's blog at http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2008/03/putting-xrds-si.html
.

--David