SREG 1.1 Request parameters

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 08:09:05 UTC 2008

Enis Soztutar wrote:

> As far as I understand, the distinction between sreg.required and
> sreg.optional is entirely in the responsibility of the consumer and
> there is not reason for the protocol to include this arbitrary division.
> An OP implementation will just merge the two fields and try to fill them
> as much as it can.

This distinction is made to avoid the following flow, which isn't very
user-friendly:

  1. RP sends user to OP with a request for email address.
  2. OP asks user whether or not to send email address.
  3. User elects not to send email address.
  4. RP then says "We can't let you register without an email address.
Type one in here."
  5. User elects to supply an email address after all, but now has no
assistance from the OP to complete this field.

By having the optional/required distinction, in step two the OP can say
something like "The RP may not allow you to log in without this
information". This means that the user can make the decision in step 3
with the knowledge that it probably won't succeed, or he can make the
decision in step 5 a few steps earlier and get assistance from the OP to
enter the email address.

It's only a very subtle distinction, but it is important so that the OP
can explain the situation to the user at the right point in the transaction.