Using email address as OpenID identifier

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Wed Apr 2 03:44:35 UTC 2008

On 1-Apr-08, at 7:37 PM, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

> -- that said, with directed identity in OpenID 2.0, a user just
> needs to type in "yahoo.com", or press the pretty yahoo button.  No
> typing.

I think this is why we don't need to use emails. People are very
familiar with typing in a URL in the address bar. The experience of
entering an URL and then being on that page is also really familiar.
This is of course what happens when you type the OP into the OpenID
prompt.

Sorry for not being the least bit supportive of the email as
identifier idea -- there are just so many things that are bad about it
and the good reason (an identifier they already know) is provided per
above with the advantage of giving an expected experience.

I agree with Brad that we need to write a FAQ on this.