An OAuth OpenID Extension

Joseph Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Tue Oct 23 02:21:56 UTC 2007

Wow, these are neat. Thanks for the links david, and especially the
work john!

OK, so the Inline Auth use case seems like a straightforward case for
OAuth: resource url => identifier,  user auth url => delegate.
Successfully accessing the resource after negotiation would imply
that the user still trusts the RP. Seems like low hanging fruit.
Also, gets the benefit of single sign off!

I'm a little unsure about the best way for the Trusted Auth use case.
This seems quite good, but a diagram of an oauth solution to the
problem was on the mailing list not long ago. Same as the official
diagram, but with a third column showing interactions between the
"Consumer Directs User to Service Provider" and "Service Provider
Directs User to Consumer" steps. I looked for half an hour, found
nothing, but I'm not crazy really! Anyway, it would be nice to
compare perspectives first.

But if I remember correctly, the oauth proposal only allowed the
"Service Provider"/"Destination Consumer" to revoke resource access,
while openid trusted auth gives that right to the OP. Greater
overhead versus greater user control.

So who's interested in fleshing out these recommendations into specs?

http:/ joseph holsten .com