[Fwd: RE: mobile OpenID and role of mobile carriers]

Laurent Michel | AF83 laurent.michel at af83.com
Mon Oct 8 13:17:52 UTC 2007

Andrew Tomlinson a écrit :
> Here are some more thoughts.
>
> I agree with Laurent, 3rd party applications on mobiles are a pain - too
> many architectures to deal with. Especially if you are trying to do
> something interesting you can't do with J2ME + JSRxxx. Windows mobile will
> be no problem when (if) it gets cardspace as there is the option for "openid
> over cardspace" as previously demonstrated, but we may have a long wait.
>
> Without protection the header/callback method proposed provides a rather
> simple way to track your movements around the internet back to your openid
> (paranoid hat on).
hmm. I dont't suggest that mobile networks transmit the openID url of
the enduser ... otherwise, you're right, there's a huge pb of
confidentiality / tracking
> Also, couldn't you achieve exactly the same effect with a
> gateway which sends out a "x-openid: my.openid.here" header?

that's an option, but forces mobile networks to always send this
auto-discovery header ... i'll check with operators in France to see how
they feel about this
> To alleviate the tracking problem you could protect this with a "allow/deny"
> page provided by the network e.g.
>
> 1. RP detects mobile browser using header information
> 2. RP discovers the auto-openid-discovery url at the mobile network (maybe
> the header simply contains the discovery url)
> 3. RP redirects the user browser to that url
> 4. Mobile network check the user's mobile matches a known registered user of
> the discovery service and presents an allow/deny page
> 5. User presses allow or deny
> 6. Network redirects back to the RP with the openid in a header if the user
> allowed it
> 7. RP initiates discovery/authentication - from the beginning because the
> previous steps prove nothing about the user's identity

exactly.