attribute exchange value encoding

Claus Färber GMANE at faerber.muc.de
Tue May 29 09:04:26 UTC 2007

Johnny Bufu schrieb:
> I believe the HTTP encoding [1] in the OpenID spec will take care of
> this part, i.e. before putting the OpenID + AX message on the wire,
> the OpenID layer has to HTTP-encode it.

Maybe "Base 64 Encoding with URL and Filename Safe Alphabet" (RFC 3548,
section 4) should be used for efficiency.

If 2 out of 64 characters need to be %-encoded, this increases the size
by an average of 6,25 %. (I'm ignoring the '=' as it only appears once.)
The total overhead of Base64 changes from 33,3 % to 41,7 %.

Claus