Conventions for encoding email-address localparts?

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Tue Mar 27 07:42:48 UTC 2007

I am new to this list, and have only quickly reviewed the
specifications.  I may have missed some details.

Are there existing conventions for encoding the local-part of an
email-address to represent a type of local identity?  For example, if
email were adapted to send URIs, perhaps based upon BURL extensions,
then OpenID could be used as a means to ensure the recipient of the
message identifies themselves before the message is revealed.  This
would provide an absolute confirmation of the receipt of the message, as
well as ensuring the message remains confidential.

Perhaps jon_doe at example.com could become jon_doe._at_.example.com.

This might also help in separating local-part identifies from the
location of the identity server.

-Doug