Thoughts on the Attribute Exchange proposal.

Johnny Bufu johnny at sxip.com
Fri Mar 9 19:59:58 UTC 2007

Hi Wayne!

It's good to see someone interested in attribute exchange!

On 9-Mar-07, at 11:25 AM, Wayne Pierce wrote:
>   1. Updating information.  When I update an attribute is there any
> proposed way to notify subscribers without the subscribers having to
> poll my URI?

This is actually addressed in Atribute Exchange, see the update_url
field in the fetch request messages.

>   2. Is there any way for an entity to create a collection of
> attributes for individuals to associate values with?  I saw a
> reference to "Personas" in one of the documents but these seemed to be
> user-derived.

I'm not sure I understand fully what your interest is with this use-
case.

In AX, each attribute is identified by a URI, and anyone can come
up / invent custom attributes like this. [1]

The next step is dereferencing that URI (if it is an URL) and obtain
'metadata' [2] about the attribute, which would then help do other
useful things with the attribute. The metadata would describe the
data format of the attribute, acquisition methods etc.

Using these two mechanisms, it would be easy for someone to define a
new (profile) attribute like the one you describe below, and define
it's semantic to be a collection of some other attributes. How does
this approach look to you? Does it address your problem, or did you
have a different approach in mind?

While there is some consensus around Attribute Exchange, with its use
of URI attribute identifiers (and it is slowly heading to a
finalized / useable form), the other two pieces (types [1] and
metadata [2]) are not as close to being  finalized, and we'd more
than welcome your help here!

The talks about the identity schema are focused at http://
idschemas.idcommons.net/ which may also be of interest to you.

Thanks,
Johnny

[1] http://openid.net/specs/openid-attribute-types-1_0-02.html
[2] http://openid.net/specs/identity-attribute-metadata-1_0-01.html