Do We Agree on the Problem We're Trying to Solve?

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Fri Jun 8 23:16:12 UTC 2007

>> Dick Hardt wrote:
>>
>> Canonical IDs do not solve B.
>
>I would agree with that one.
>
>Obviously the XRI architecture assumption ("not as radically
>decentralized as OpenID") makes that less of a problem in an XRI
>context. Of course, some would say that that assumption is a problem
>in itself.

Where was it asserted that XRI architecture is "not as radically
decentralized as OpenID"? Fen made the point yesterday that XRI architecture
is *less* centralized that DNS. The choice of identifier authorities under
URL architecture is DNS registries or IP addresses. XRI architecture
supports both of those and adds two more: XRI registries and p2p
authorities. So it's getting less centralized, not more.

Due to the influence of OpenID and other URL-centric technologies, in the
XRI 3.0 discussions already under way, the TC is looking at formalizing XRI
resolution of HTTP and HTTPS URIs (URLs) and Handles. Wouldn't it be cool
for OpenID libraries be able to simply call a resolver to do XRDS resolution
of any OpenID identifier (URL or XRI), Canonical ID verification (URL or
XRI), and OpenID service endpoint selection all in one function?

=Drummond