Do We Agree on the Problem We're Trying to Solve?

RL 'Bob' Morgan rlmorgan at washington.edu
Fri Jun 8 17:56:27 UTC 2007

> I'm not sure if we all think we're trying to solve the same problem.
> The two problems that have been discussed are:
> A) Identifier recycling normally in large user-base deployments.  i.e.
> <insert big company> needs a way to give 'TheBestUsernameEver' to a new
> user if it has not been used in some period of time.
> B) Losing control of your own domain name whether that be via someone
> stealing it or just that you don't want to have to pay for it forever.

Perhaps y'all know all this and I should just continue to listen, but what
I see above are observations about practices, not problem descriptions.
Seems like the problems are that (1) user wants some properties to hold
even in situations A and B, or (2) that relying parties want some
properties to hold in those situations.  What are the desired properties?
Probably something like:  RPs want policies/profiles/etc that applied to
old user of identifier not to apply to new user of identifier.  ?

  - RL "Bob"