No New DB Field Requirement? (WAS: RE: Questions about IIW Identifier Recycling Table)

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Fri Jun 8 17:19:26 UTC 2007

I agree that all things equal, it is reasonable to look at.

I think a lot of this in terms of where stripping versus identifier
storage happen depends a lot on the library and application.  In Rails
for example the library manages the store for associations and nonces,
and the application has to modify a table to store the identifier.  In
the stripping case, you'd then have to create a method in your
application for when you call User.identifier which strips the fragment.
In the second field case, you'd then have two fields in your database to
work with, also from the application level.

So just not sure if there really is more or less complexity from this
standpoint between the two approaches.

--David