Specifying identifier recycling

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Sun Jun 3 00:14:36 UTC 2007

> Overall, I'm not sure we are ready in this community to pick one
> alternative over another as "the standards". I have my views,
> (many) others have (many) others -- and I don't think that any
> of this has to be in an Authentication 1.x (x>1) or 2.0 spec,
> whatever it will be. This seems like a clean add-on.

I also agree with Johannes here.  I'd like to see this written as an
extension so that if the first approach doesn't work, the Auth spec
itself doesn't have to be "reverted.  Rather we can finish 2.0 and try
implementing different approaches before deciding on the final way to
solve this problem.

SREG shows how 1.1 can be extended, 2.0 clarifies this mechanism and
makes it more robust, let's take advantage of it especially given that
not all providers require this feature (whether via fragments or public
keys).

--David