Specifying identifier recycling

Nat Sakimura n-sakimura at nri.co.jp
Fri Jun 1 01:41:01 UTC 2007

Public key idea is somewhat attractive to me, but there are some issues that
comes up in my mind as well.

1) Storing many users' private key on the server in decryptable format is
not very safe.

In your proposal, it looks like that OP is going to hold the private key for
each user in decryptable format. Considering that most large scale privacy
leakage happens at the server side, I have got a feeling that such thing
like private key in a shared location.

2) It may mean a high cost operation for OPs.

If we do this, it makes OP operation very high cost because to make the
service safe, it would require a lot of measures. (NRI is providing similar
kind of service but it indeed is very high cost operation.)

Nice thing about i-number is that it has no value like public key except for
its resolvability. Even if it leaks, that's kind of ok so operational risk
is low.

Actually, these private key pain may be eased by IBE (Identity Based
Encryption) but I need some more time to contemplate on it.

3) Since OPs has an access to the users' private key, they may recycle them
as well.

IMHO, recycling is operational problem as well as a technical one.
i-number from a certified i-broker is somewhat trustable on the account of
no recycling because of this operational restriction. Could there be
operational restriction similart to that for general OPs as well?

=nat