Using XRI Proxy Resolvers in OpenID discovery

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hammer-lahav.net
Mon Jul 30 19:58:15 UTC 2007

It has been mentioned on this list that XRI might be optional in OpenID 2.0.
If you read the spec with that mindset you can find ways to prove it. Your
answer is that all three discoveries are a MUST and if that's the case,
there is little point in this thread.

OpenID 1.1 allowed for a very dumb RP. I was able to implement the entire
spec from scratch in C++ in under a day. OpenID 2.0 took 10 days and it's
still not complete (missing authority validation). My suggestion was to
consider allowing RP's to avoid dealing with XRI and XRDS by requiring HTML
discovery support on the End User side, and making sure that the redirection
of http://xri.net/=eran will end in an HTML document with HTML-based
discovery. It will allow existing OpenID 1.1 implementations to work XRIs
with a tiny change.

I am well aware I joined this group when it's at the end of the draft cycle,
and I can appreciate the significant amount of work and thought that went
into the specification.

EHL