Special Request: Client Certificates vs. OpenID

Alaric Dailey alaricdailey at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:02:06 UTC 2007

Client certificates could easily be used to extend openID, and since (last
time I checked) the authentication process was entirely up to the IdP, a
client certificate based IdP should be open to be created.

Most CAs have created a problem because they only allow a user to use their
certs (mostly because CAs don't all follow the same persona verification
standards, and to a lesser degree politics). Now, over at StartCom, Eddy has
created a system where users are allowed to register any certificate they
like to login, very much like the USPS has done for the "Electronic Post
Mark".