Federated Authorization

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Fri Jan 19 00:15:47 UTC 2007

Hi James

As Phillip states, SAML can be used to represent the assertion.

Interesting that you mention a Doctor example. A use case that we are
working on uses a Surgeon (Sally) who needs to prove:

- Tthe College of Physicians and Surgeons says she is a surgeon
- A particular hospital says she is part of their team
- The university says she is part of their faculty
- the government says she is the business owner of her surgical practice

With OpenID, each of these authorities could make a claim about
Sally's OpenID. This could be expressed as a SAML assertion.

When accessing a resource that requires one of Sally's verified
attributes, Sally (using her OP) proves she is a specific OpenID
Idenitifier and also provides the SAML assertion(s) that prove that
identifier has been verified to belong to a surgeon, team member,
faculty member, business owner.

We have created an example for something anyone on the net can have
verified, their email address. I'll post separately about that.

-- Dick