Modularizing Auth 2.0 Discovery

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 19:26:59 UTC 2007

Dmitry Shechtman wrote:

>> Then we'd publish in parallel the following two ancillary specifications:
>>     * OpenID Discovery for HTTP and HTTPS URIs
>>     * OpenID Discovery for XRI URIs.
>
> The latter being "prepend http://xri.net/ to the XRI and use OpenID
> Discovery for HTTP".

I think as a starting point we should just refactor the existing
XRI-related content from the Auth spec into a separate spec. We can then
worry about simplifying it as a separate problem.

>> Later, the OpenID community or a third party could publish a
>> specification "OpenID Discovery for Email Addresses", but I don't think
>> we're really ready to go there right now.
>
> Could you please elaborate on this? I believe the SMTP Extension is pretty
> solid. The only thing it lacks is formality.

I'd rather not get into the debate about email-based identifiers here.
This thread is about making it possible to have such a spec, not about
which spec will be adopted and when. I encourage you to pursue this
separately, assuming we actually do modularize the auth spec.

Cheers,
Martin