[OpenID] OpenId & Yadis Question

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 07:40:28 UTC 2007

David Fuelling wrote:
> I'm wondering if the following is a correct interpretation of how OpenId 2.0
> uses Yadis.  Any clarifications are appreciated.
>
> 1.) User navigates to an RP, and enters a Claimed Identifier (e.g.,
> http://sappenin.gmail.com).
>
> 2.) A Yadis doc is returned as follows:
>
> <Service xmlns="xri://$xrd*($v*2.0)">
> <Type>http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/server</Type>
> <URI>https://sappenin.com/</URI> </Service>
> </Service>
>

> Specifically:
>
> A.) Is this the proper way to do delegation?  Above, gmail.com is delegating
> to sappenin.com.

What you've given above isn't delegation, because no delegate identifier
is given. I guess you wanted https://sappenin.com/ to be your
identifier, in which case it would go in the <LocalID> element, with
your provider's endpoint URL in <URI>.

Also, the Type here should be http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/signon.

You can also do it with LINK elements in an HTML document, as with
OpenID 1 (though the "rel" values have changed a little).

> B.) If a client gets the Yadis doc above (after navigating to gmail.com),
> MUST they (or SHOULD they) navigate to sappenin.com and try to perform
> discovery again?  If so, how many delegates are allowed?  Not specified?

Delegation isn't recursive. When given the above (corrected, of course),
the site will try to verify https://sappenin.com/ against the given
server immediately. Discovery is never performed on the LocalID in this
case. This means that the nominated provider *must* be able to recognise
the LocalID given.