Proposal: An anti-phishing compromise

john kemp john.kemp at mac.com
Fri Feb 2 13:37:37 UTC 2007

Recordon, David wrote:
> I think we all agree that talking about the method used is far more
> useful, though with this proposal we're really trying to balance it with
> simplicity in the authentication protocol itself.  Maybe it is better to
> phrase the discussion around if the user provided a secret (password) to
> the OP or not to authenticate versus talking about phishing directly.?.

If you were to define a URI for common "authentication method" values,
could this value not be returned, simply, in the protocol?

> I'd hope that this parameter in the auth spec really helps bring the
> discussion around to the Assertion Quality Extension and that it be
> implemented to provide the more robust metadata such as what type of
> authentication was actually preformed.

Agreed. If AQE is not mandated, however, I think that the original idea
of allowing the OP to make a statement about the authentication method
in the actual protocol is still a good one.

If you start with a simple URI, returned directly in the protocol, can
this not be linked to the equivalent statement in the AQE specification?

- John