OAuth + OpenID

NISHITANI Masaki m-nishitani at nri.co.jp
Wed Dec 12 03:33:09 UTC 2007

I enumerated all possible cases to use OAuth and OpenID
together to organize my thought a bit more.

And correct the charts for one misunderstanding.
In cahrt 3, there should be another user-interaction phase
for SP, which behaves as a relying party in OpenID context,
to obtain user identifier.

I will be grad with any comment to this.

Possible cases to use OAuth and OpenID together.

1. Consumer, SP and OP all differ (4-entity case)

  1.1 Both of Consumer and SP does not use OpenID at all.
    - This is just a simple OAuth usecase (chart 1).

  1.2 Consumer requires OpenID authentication, SP does not.
    - Same as simple OAuth except place OpenID transactions
      before initiating OAuth (above all chart 1 sequence).

  1.3 SP requires OpenID authentication, Consumer does not.
    - Chart 3.

  1.4 Both requires OpenID authentication.
    - Almost same as chart 3. Just place another OpenID
      sequences above all of lines.

2. Consumer and SP are same.

  Does not need to use OAuth.

3. SP and OP are same.

  3.1 Consumer does not use OpenID.
    - Simple OAuth.

  3.2 Consumer does use OpenID.
    - Sequences are just same in chart 3, or possibly
      optimize like chart 4.

4. Consumer and OP are same.

  4.1 SP does not use OpenID
    - Sinple OAuth.

  4.2 SP uses OpenID
    - This is a bit strange case. It is possible to use
      OpenID authentication for SP, but it is meaningless.
      OAuth aims to data exchange without desclosing user
      credentials and in this case, consumer already knows
      user credential because it is a OpenID provider
      itself.

5. All same.
  Surprisingly, does not need OpenID nor OAuth.
  Let me call this ``plain old web service'' ;-P