OpenID Trusted Authentication Extension

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 05:31:57 UTC 2007

Hi John,

Looks like there's some consensus around OAuth... ;)

I helped to get OAuth off the ground to solve the very problem that
you're looking to solve -- in our case, enabling Ma.gnolia OpenID
users to use Dashboard Widgets and Twitter API users to authenticate
their apps, eventually using OpenID.

While I appreciate your work on an OpenID-specific extension, I think
there's some legitimacy in looking at a solution that works generally
regardless of the authentication mechanism. By decoupling OpenID and
OAuth, the goal was to make it easier to adopt OAuth first and then
lead into adopting OpenID.

In the case of your spec, which seems like a good piece of work,
there'd be no sense in supporting the extension without supporting
OpenID and as such, has limited benefit in the wild for implementors.
With OAuth, if we're able to get folks like AOL, Google, Yahoo and
others to support it, the amount of effort necessary to support all of
them becomes the same amount of work to support one.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you on the OAuth list. Feel free to poke
around; we're looking to put out a 0.9 Draft and have it implemented
over the course of September in libraries and then release finally a
1.0 Oct 1.

Cheers,

Chris