encoding newlines in attribute values

Johnny Bufu johnny at sxip.com
Fri Apr 27 22:46:26 UTC 2007

On 20-Apr-07, at 11:18 AM, Dick Hardt wrote:
> To expand on that and include Mark Wahl's proposal about locale
> encoding[1] in a standard way for attributes so that the libraries
> can do the right thing 99% of the time.
>
> I would propose that AX data have a default encoding that can be
> overrode by the attribute metadata. The default would be:
>
> URL encoding for text data
> escape sequence for locale using mechanism in RFC 3866
> escape sequence to indicate binary data that is then base64 encoded

Does this work for everyone? If there are no issues, I'd like to
summarize it in the spec so that:

- a "default encoding" is defined as described above
- attribute specific encodings can be used, and their presence is
signaled with an escape sequence similar to the ones used in Mark's
language tags proposal.

The default encoding would then be applied only when a attribute-
specific encoding was not used.

Agreed?

Johnny