Logout

frumioj at mac.com frumioj at mac.com
Fri Apr 6 16:26:13 UTC 2007

Hi James,

McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT) wrote:
> Curious question that someone asked that I didn't know the answer to.
> OpenID/Cardspace allow for easy SSO into web sites. How does one perform
> the equivalent logout from an Identity Selector?

Logout from the client side would be possible only if an RP or IdP
supported some protocol for logout that could then be used by the client
(whether it be the web browser, Cardspace or something else).

Typical approaches to logout in the web-browser world involve simply
providing a link on a web page that allows the user to press the link to
logout. Of course, logging out at one RP doesn't mean you're logged out
with the IdP or all the other RPs you might be logged in with.

SAML 2 has a "single logout" protocol, but I don't believe that OpenID
currently specifies something like that.

Regards,

- John