Moving AX Forward (WAS RE: SREG namespace URI rollback)

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Wed Apr 4 20:16:01 UTC 2007

Johnny,
I see a lot of, at least my initial confusion, coming from there being
multiple documents.  This is why I urge merging the transport and
metadata since the reality is they currently are only being used with
each other.  As the metadata document doesn't actually define a new
format, rather references existing formats, I am unsure why it cannot
just be a section in the transport document.  It is understood that you
must use the metadata format for the schema URLs in the transport, so
the two documents really are coupled to begin with.

I agree that you need to bootstrap a set of attributes for people using
AX.  As I have done so in the past, I'd encourage this work happen
within the ID Schemas project (http://idschemas.idcommons.net/) versus
defining First Name yet again for openid.net.  I have no problem with
the spec listing a set of schema URLs, I just strongly feel that
anything non-OpenID specific should be hosted and defined elsewhere
since so many people have already done it.  I do understand the need for
the schema URL hosting the metadata document, which is why I am
advocating this work be done as part of the ID Schemas project to
provide this flexibility.

--David