Promoting OpenID

McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT) James.McGovern at thehartford.com
Tue Apr 3 21:07:26 UTC 2007

Gabe, I think you nailed it. The problem I run across is that my interest in using OpenID is all about getting a federation of sorts up and working within my insurance vertical which contains 250 distinct competitors. Getting emails offlist privately with vendors marketing uniquely to me is not only frustrating but doesn't actually help my goal.

I don't want to choose a vendor at this time in that we all as a vertical need to agree on some other things first, so the thought of me running around attempting to coordinate a cross-company marketing event is problematic. Likewise, in terms of being in a regulated industry, I couldn't do this except in very publicly observable ways such as asking folks to blog on things, etc. Collusion is important and the best way to avoid is to ask folks who want to sell us software to market in other than a point-to-point way.