Features for Future Versions

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Mon Apr 2 15:19:46 UTC 2007

On 2-Apr-07, at 8:09 AM, McGovern, James F ((HTSC, IT)) wrote:

> I originally joined this list with the hopes of injecting support
> for relationships, authorization and attestation into the
> specification but have been somewhat disappointed. I do have the
> following questions?
>
> 1. Will OpenID avoid incorporating features where identity
> selectors such as Cardspace don't support the functionality?
>
> 2. Will OpenID always constrain itself to areas where traditional
> PKI vendors have played (authentication) and avoid areas where PKI
> can't tread (authorization)?

Hi James

Authentication and authorization are somewhat overloaded words and
different people mean different things by them. I recall you sending
out a link to a set of requirements you had helped create. The
dynamics of this mailing list tend to support concise use case
discussion rather delve into large documents. A concise use case of
what you mean by Authorization may prove useful to guide the
discussion and work.