Announcing OpenID Attribute Properties Draft 1

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 18:52:59 UTC 2006

Johannes Ernst wrote:

> I would agree with you that we should avoid premature standardization
> for things that don't have sufficient consensus yet.
>
> Others argue that it is better to pick one of the alternatives as a
> standard, and fix it later if needed, than to not have a standardized
> facility for an important function (an argument that I understand).
>
> The current approach seems to be to go down the standardization route
> and see how far we can go. It is certainly possible that as we go down
> that route and improve the proposed specs, some of the objections will
> disappear ...

Oh, I certainly agree that having one standard is a good goal. What I
don't agree with is in-fighting about who gets to work on various
things. I'm not so arrogant as to implicitly believe that my ideas are
better than anyone else's, but that doesn't mean I won't have a go and
try things out and see how they fare.

If something else turns out to be better (read: more liked by the
general populace) then so be it, but I don't think anyone should be put
off contributing a proposal just because someone else has decided that
they "own" a particular area of thinking.