Backwards compatibility

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Fri Sep 22 06:15:30 UTC 2006

Just one specific question:

On Sep 21, 2006, at 17:22, Dick Hardt wrote:

> Also, I thought OpenID 2.0 was moving to POST instead of GET, so that
> will likely cause some incompatibilities.

I heard this before somewhere, but so far I could not discern the
reasoning for it, nor who actually proposes (and agrees with) it.
Could you enlighten me?

So far, I think it would be a very bad idea if OpenID only worked in
the context of one of the HTTP REST verbs (of which there are 4, or
more if you count WebDAV and other HTTP verbs such as OPTIONS).
Admittedly, the OpenID spec so far only talked about GET, but there
was nothing to prevent to use it with POST, PUT or DELETE as well. Or
any other verbs in HTTP extensions such as WebDAV.

Is there a proposal on the table to restrict OpenID to be only usable
for POST? And if so, what would be the rationale? In the times of
AJAX and rich client apps, I think if anything, we should be
extending OpenID to cover more verbs, not fewer?

Confused, as usual ;-)

Johannes.

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.