Backwards compatibility

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Thu Sep 21 00:11:43 UTC 2006

FWIW, I've been assuming (2), mostly because I've been assuming there would
be a separate XRDS service endpoint (SEP) type for OpenID Authentication
2.0.

So if my IdP supported both OpenID Authentication 1.1 (for which the SEP
type is actually still "http://openid.net/signon/1.0") and OpenID
Authentication 2.0, my XRDS document would advertise both SEP types.

That doesn't mean that (1) can't be done, i.e., that OpenID 2.0 can't
support the same set of messages as OpenID 1.1. It just means that it
doesn't have to, because (2) allows an RP can differentiate between an IdP
that supports OpenID Authentication 1.1 and 2.0.

Is my assumption correct?

And if so, how do others answer Josh's question?

=Drummond