Yet Another Delegation Thread

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Wed Oct 25 18:19:36 UTC 2006

Drummond Reed wrote:
> 3) Allowing the user to control Claimed
> Identifier-to-IdP-Specific-Identifier mapping gives the user the ability to
> establish any number of OpenID "synonyms" that do not require any
> involvement on the part of the IdP. In many ways this is the user-facing
> compliment of the directed identity value proposition: in directed identity,
> the user can have the IdP create any number of pseudonyms for different RPs.
> But the user is dependent on the IdP for this functionality. With Claimed
> Identifier-to-IdP-Specific-Identifier mapping, the user controls which
> Claimed Identifier maps to which IdP-Specific-Identifier, and is NOT
> dependent on the IdP for this mapping (which means it is entirely portable).

Is it a goal to not allow correlation of identifiers? If so, I do not
think this meets that goal.

Looking at the parties involved here, I necessarily have to trust my
IdP, but I certainly don't want to trust RPs. So if there is to be
leakage of information, it should go to the IdP, who is charged with the
protection of my data. This appears to construct what amounts to a map
of all my online identifiers nicely formatted so that a bot can harvest
it easily. Perhaps non-correlation is a non-goal for this particular
feature - but I would hope that it would be a high priority.

--
Pete