[PROPOSAL] Handle "http://user at example.com" Style Identifiers

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Fri Oct 20 19:58:14 UTC 2006

This all depends on whether OpenIDs are going to be used exclusively as hooks for attributes or as a contact mechanism.

I think that there will inevitably be demand to use the identifiers as contact addresses. The question is how this need is going to be met in a way that prevents people being spammed to death.

I don't see how anyone is going to pay to be =drummond if they are the only person who is ever going to type the text in. The idea makes no sense since anyone who cares about what they type in can get a plug in that provides a pretty name for free.

Ergo we are talking about contact addresses and on the Internet that means email addresses. I am willing to watch people spend large amounts of money attempting to prove otherwise. I am not going to throw roadblocks in their way to the tar pit.

All I want is the ability to say to people 'I told you so' afterwards.

And to offer email addresses on an equal basis with XRIs. In other words I am quite happy for others to jump into what I believe to be a tar pit and splash around. What I object to is being tied to them.