XRI confusion

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 18:04:24 UTC 2006

Dick Hardt wrote:

> Bob has the i-name =foo. Alice has =foo reassigned to her. Bob does
> not know this. Bob goes to an RP, enters =foo and gets sent somewhere
> he cannot authenticate since =foo resolves somewhere else.
>
> Bob does not know what to do. =foo does not resolve to his i-number
> any more. How does he find out what it is so that he can get a his i-
> name to point to it?

This is up to the registrar (i-broker, I think?). Presumably they'll let
Bob know that he's let his registration lapse and that it can now be
registered by someone else. Bob will be unable to reclaim the i-name
unless Alice is willing to release it to him. Bob's i-broker presumably
knows what Bob's i-number is and so if he does re-obtain it they will
point it on his behalf.

This is just general administration stuff, out of scope of the
protocols. It's not much different in principle to a hosting provider
that sells you a domain name and a bundled website. You don't need to
know the IP address of their web server because they set up that mapping
for you. If you let your registration of the domain lapse, they'll
presumably let you know.