PROPOSAL: rename Identity Provider to OpenID Provider

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 17:59:01 UTC 2006

Granqvist, Hans wrote:

> Why not simply call the idp "idp", and prefix it "OpenID idp"
> if context or clarification is needed, all referencing an
> OpenID spec def of "OpenID idp"?

While I guess I agree with your objection, I don't like the redundant
"ID" in "OpenID IdP". It makes it awkward to say out loud, if nothing else.

Perhaps we can say its full name is "OpenID Authentication Provider",
but shorten it to just "OpenID Provider" when the context is obvious?
(or just call it an AP and have done with it?)