PROPOSAL: RP identifier

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 17:24:15 UTC 2006

Dick Hardt wrote:

> Agreed that it is desirable to have multiple RP endpoints for an RP.
> Does openid.realm then uniquely identify an RP? ie. no other RP will
> use the same Realm?

I'd say that if two endpoints are within the same realm that they are by
definition part of the same RP.

This does raise the question of what to do when one realm exists inside
another, but I suppose the most obvious answer is to select the most
specific of the available options — that is, the one with the least
"wildcardy-ness"[1]. Someone probably should define precisely how the
specificity of realms works if it isn't in the spec already.

[1] Now *that* is a good word!