XRI canonical id question

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Tue Oct 10 18:24:01 UTC 2006

On 10-Oct-06, at 11:00 AM, Drummond Reed wrote:

> Again, this is why I recommend RPs don't even store the i-name, but
> instead
> store their own display name for the user. The display name and the
> i-number
> (CanonicalID) never need to change, whereas an i-name may be
> reassigned.

why would an i-name be reassigned?

why would an i-number not be reassigned?

who owns the i-number?

I thought that who is authorative for an i-name was managed by a
registry that was separate from the i-broker, and that mechanism
provided the separation of identifier management from IdP.

(clearly I am still ramping on i-names)