Consolidated Delegate Proposal

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Mon Oct 9 21:19:25 UTC 2006

I have finally got up on this thread and don't see the value of the
openid.display parameter.

The RP does not know who the user is when the user is using OpenID to
login, since that is why the RP is using OpenID, to find out who the
user is.

Having the user type in another parameter just lets the user see the
same thing at the IdP. What's the point?

The user clearly knows they are at two different sites, and I think
it is more important to have a consistent experience at the IdP
across RPs then to have a consistent experience between the RP and
the IdP.

The IdP must know who the user is in order to create a positive
response back to the RP, so the IdP will already have some display
values to show the user.

... so what am I missing?

-- Dick