Consolidated Delegate Proposal

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Mon Oct 9 17:56:12 UTC 2006

Josh, your message arrived while I was writing my reply to David's.

I agree completely that openid.display is primarily useful for i-name
synonyms.

You go on to say, "For URIs, the display name *must* be the same as the RP
user identifier, because there is no other value is verifiable by the IdP."

I was proposing that openid.display be treated simply a string, so neither
an RP nor an IdP would ever never resolve it, verify it, use it as key, etc.

openid.display would default to openid.rpuserid if the RP didn't send an
openid.display value. And if openid.rpuserid was a CanonicalID, then an RP
SHOULD at least send the i-name as openid.display.

However if the RP wanted to prompt a user for a short Display Name, even if
the User's Claimed Identifier was a URL, the RP *could* send this Display
Name to the IdP, and the IdP *could* display it so the user experience was
consistent across the two sites.

For example:

At RP site the prompts are:

OpenID Identifier:
Your Preferred Display Name:

The user enters:

OpenID Identifier: example.idp.com/some/long/URL
Your Preferred Display Name: DSR

The RP sends to IdP:

openid.identity = http://example.idp.com/some/long/URL
openid.rpuserid = http://example.idp.com/some/long/URL
openid.display = DSR

The IdP displays:

Hello DSR. Do you want to login to YourFriendlyRP?
Password: [                ]
[Accept Once] {Accept Always] [Cancel]

=Drummond