[PROPOSAL] Separate Public Identifier from IdP Identifier

Kevin Turner kevin at janrain.com
Fri Oct 6 20:58:25 UTC 2006

>From http://www.lifewiki.net/openid/SeparateIdentifierFromIdPToken
(change #3):
> Impact on XRI-based auth:
>
> An XRI is, for this purpose, a URI that can be resolved into a URL at
> which we can do Yadis discovery. Once Yadis discovery begins, flow
> continues as in the original proposal, where openid:Token can be any
> URI.

It's unclear to me whether you intended this to be a change from the
current specification or not, but it is.  Yadis discovery on URLs
resolved from XRIs is considered redundant, as there's nothing about
Yadis discovery that can't be done while resolving the XRI.  Since Yadis
uses the XRI resolution response format, you even get to use the same
code.

So was it your intention to add an extra layer to discovery here, or
should the above section be reworded?