Strong Authencation (was [PROPOSAL] authentication age

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 16:58:09 UTC 2006

Chris Drake wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 1. Amazon asks the IdP "Please assert this user is not a Robot"
>    How can it trust this occurred?
>
> 2. Amazon asks the IdP "Please re-authenticate this user, via
>    two-factor, two-way strong authentication"
>    How can it trust *this* occurred?
>
> The IdP can *say* it did, but would RPs prefer a "stronger" role to
> encourage adoption? (eg: #1 - the RP provides the captcha, and the
> hash of the solution, while the IdP returns the solution, or #2 - the
> RP provides a nonce and later looks for this nonce in the IdP's
> also-signed-by-the-authentication-vendor-technology response)
>
> i.e.: It might get ugly to try and add this stuff in later if we've
> not catered up-front for these kinds of interchanges.

These use-cases seem like a good one, in that it's something that's
actually *verifiable*, rather than relying on a trust relationship that
probably doesn't exist between RP and IdP.

I still don't think this should be in the core spec — core OpenID Auth
should be simple — but we should make sure that it's possible to add it
via extension and if it isn't adjust the way extensions work to make it
possible.