[PROPOSAL] authentication age

Chris Drake christopher at pobox.com
Thu Oct 5 03:59:49 UTC 2006

Hi Gabe,

Beautifully worded, and (IMHO) an extremely valuable real-world
opinion.  I too believe OpenID is currently a "non-starter".  I have
dual vested interests:  I want OpenID to succeed, *especially* for RPs
like Visa, since my IdP makes money from supporting OpenID only when
OpenID ends up getting used.  I also believe that an IdP (and mine in
particular) is well suited for deploying secure technology (eg: two
factor tokens).  If, aside from making OpenID actually *work* for the
likes of Visa, we can build in the ability to provide a tangible
*benefit* to Visa from using it (that is: allow visa to REQUIRE that a
user has authenticate via two-factor means, to an accredited - i.e:
explicitly trusted by Visa - IdP) then we've not only cemented the
future of OpenID, we've gone an improved a pile of security problems
along the way.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake
1id.com