[PROPOSAL] Handle "http://user at example.com" Style Identifiers

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 19:12:38 UTC 2006

I wonder if it would help our discussion to clarify what is meant when we
say that an email address is an "identifier".

While an email address does technically identify SOMETHING, here I'm using
it more as a "mapping".

So, the way I'm conceiving of things is that the email is in fact a REAL
email address.  It's just that OpenId has a procedure for using it to
forward a user to a proper IdP.

A good parallel would be the Identity URL itself.  A common user might think
of this URL as something to be clicked on, and resolvable -- A Location.
However, OpenID is instead/additionally using this URL in a slightly
different way -- to map to an identity.  Are not these two instances (email
and Claimed Identity URL) "misleading" in the same way?

(I'm actually not convinced that either is misleading, but I could be
swayed).